The Socio-Economics of Diabetes
- Hits: 4978
The biggest contribution to patient management is patient’s regularity and interest in his own treatment. Patient’s compliance in terms of diet, exercise, medicines, regular testing and follow–ups go a long way in treating the hormone deficiency.
Basically Indians have two meals a day. But it is more healthy to divide your meals equally into four parts viz. Breakfast, Lunch, Tea–time snack and Dinner.
- Eat leafy vegetables, salads and edible fiber foods. This will not only help in controlling your weight, your blood sugar level and clean your system.
- Have rice once a day and in limited amount.
- Include cereals, chappattis and bakri or jowar rotis and brown bread (moderate quantity) in your diet.
- Sprouts are rich in proteins. Eat these moderately and according to whether you do sedentary, heavy or moderate work.
- Fruits should be taken once a day and without peeling like apple, sweet lime, etc.
- Since fiber food is important. Eat a full fruit instead of fruit juice. Vitamin C and Vitamin E in the fruit will help in digestion.
- Drink cow’s milk as it is less fatty. It is advisable to boil the milk, refrigerate it to let the fat settle on it before consuming it.
- Eat low fat food.
- Eat fish or egg white. Fish is nutritional when taken boiled, baked or grilled.
- Avoid fried food like pakoras, bhajias, pickles, etc.
- Avoid refined foods like maida, etc.
- Avoid processed food like cheese, butter, etc.
- Avoid red meat like beef, pork and mutton.
- Avoid sweet potato, and jam. Carbohydrate–rich food has starch when consumed converts fast to sugar.
- Avoid eating junk food.
- Avoid aerated drinks because added sugar and preservatives are not good for health.
- Exercise for at least 45 minutes everyday.
- Empty stomach walk helps blood circulation, stimulates insulin hormone which controls blood sugar level.
- Dynamic exercises like running, jogging, walking, swimming, dancing, skipping and badminton are good for health.
- Static exercises like yoga and hand exercises are not very useful.
- If you are keen to do yoga/aerobics: It must be taken up after consulting your yoga/aerobics teacher.