The ancient Indian philosophy states seven Energy Centers in the body.
1. The Root Chakra (Muladhara Chakra)
This is located at the very end of the spine, covering the tail bone and the area immediately below it at the back of the body, and covers the area of the ovaries or the spermatic cords in the front.
It controls the functions of the kidneys, the bladder and the spine. Its functions are survival issues, creative expression and abundance, and it is the seat of Kundalini energy.
- It is connected to the supra renal glands.
- The color associated with it is RED.
- It is related to the Earth Elements.
This is the area below the naval, in the front of the body, and an equivalent position on the back. It is functionally the center and controls the function of the reproductive organs, the ovaries and the testes.
- Its connection is to the gonads.
- The color associated with it is ORANGE.
- It is related to the Water Elements.
This is the area above the naval, and its corresponding side on the back. The Solar Plexus is connected to the stomach, the liver and gall bladder, and to digestive functions. This is the seat of feelings and emotions and is responsible for the flow of energy and the regulation of temperature throughout the body. It controls the power and wisdom.
- Its connection is to the adrenal glands.
- The color associated with the Solar Plexus is a BRIGHT YELLOW.
- It is related to the Fire Elements.
This is at the upper center of the chest, both front and back. It is connected to the lungs, the heart and the circulatory system. Its functions are love and compassion.
- Associated with the thymus gland.
- The color associated with it is a BRIGHT GREEN.
- It is related to the Air Elements.
Encircles the front and back of the throat. It is connected to the throat and lungs, and it is responsible for the functioning of the voice and self expression.
- Associated with the thyroid gland.
- Its color is LIGHT BLUE.
- It is related to the Sky Elements.
Located on the forehead, a little above the area between the eyebrows. It is a center for wisdom and intuition. It is connected to the autonomous nervous system, and the hypothalamus. After enlightenment this chakra gives the powers of telepathy and intuitive powers.
- It is associated with the pineal gland.
- Its color is INDIGO or DARK BLUE.
This is located on the top of the head and is never touched. It is connected to the upper brain and the right eye. The Crown Chakra connects one to the spiritual self, and is the path to the highest consciousness.
- Associated with the pituitary gland.
- The color of the Crown Chakra is VIOLET.