Homoeopathy and PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) also known as Stein – Leventhal Syndrome is a condition in which women has multiple small cysts in their ovaries. In This syndrome ovary is enlarged producing excessive amount of androgen and oestrogenic hormones. This excess with absence of ovulation may cause infertility.
- Exact cause is still not known. But a positive family history of PCOS shows that PCOS may be inherited or familial.
- According to researchers abnormalities of body's blood sugar control system (insulin system) may be related to development of PCOS.
- Also noticed is that, in women with PCOS excess amounts of male hormones of male hormone known as androgen are produced and this may be the result of abnormalities in insulin production.
A) Insulin resistant
- Too many carbohydrates in diet
- Environmental toxins
- Birth control pills
The key feature is high testosterone on investigation
B) Non-Insulin resistant
In this ,ovaries show multiple ,undeveloped follicles on ultrasound ,but there is no insulin resistance. Testosterone may be high or normal.
Signs and Symptoms
- Irregular or absent menses
- Acne over face
- Hirsutism (excess growth of hair)
- Oily face
- Decreased sex drive
- Skin discolouration
- Increased cholesterol level
PCOS can be present in any age during reproductive years
- Endometerial cancer or hyperplossia
- Type II diabetes
- Weight gain
- On basis of clinical signs and symptoms
- Laboratory Investigation - To exclude other illnesses.
- Low thyroid hormone level(hypothyroidism)
- Elevated levels of prolactin.
- Ovarian or adrenal gland tumours causing raised levels of androgen
- Increased levels of DHEA and testosterone
- USG (Ultrasonography)
- CT - scan
- MRI scan
Above all USG is most diagnostic test for PCOS
- Lowering of insulin level
- Treatment of signs and symptoms i.e. hirusutism, acne etc.
- Restoration of fertility
- Regularising menstrual cycles
- Prevention of complications
Role of Homoeopathy in Pcos
- Human body works on a very complex mechanism .Hormones secreted in body are very much sensitive to slight change taking place in the body.
- Homoeopathy medicines help in correcting the imbalances that take place when body is in a diseased state.
- Homoeopathy medicines are selected on the basis of patients mental and physical make-up which includes patients temperament, diathesis,situations in life, his reactions to surroundings emotional picture,likings, aversions, etc.
- Homoeopathy is the only system of medicine where data is collected by proving medicines on healthy human beings (unlike modern system of medicine where drugs are proved on mice , guinea pigs , etc)
- In Homoeopathy ,medicines act at the root level ,normalising the hormonal system,abolishing hormonal treatment and surgical procedures and thus increasing the chances of conception.
- Through Homoeopathy ,menstruation and ovulation occur in a natural way.
We can conclude that Homoeopathy is a safe , complementary option for PCOS sufferers improving and regularising menstrual cycle ,minimizing the cyst formation by acting over body's hormonal system
Contributed by: Dr. Vishal A Nahar, Homoeopathy Consultant, Pune.