Health Equipment Repair Organisation was established in the year 1971 as a Pilot Project funded by UNICEF and Maharashtra Government. The main objective is to maintain and repair various hospital equipment including cold chain equipment in the institutes and hospitals at rural level.
Activities of Health Equipments Repair Units
- To monitor, to organize maintenance and repair units and to render technical assistance and guidance to the field officers.
- To impart training to the technical staff from the state as well as the technicians from other states in the country.
- To impart training to the Cold Chain Officers and Health Equipment Maintenance Officers in the country as well as the countries of South East Asia
Maharashtra State Health System Development Project
The post of Bio-Medical Engineer is kept under the Administrative control of Respective Dy. Director of Circle. The Health Equipment Maintainance and Repair Work Shop have been Established under Maharashtra Health System Development Project and proposal regarding additional strength and proper facilities have been submitted to concerned Government Department Maharashtra State Public Health Department Resolution Dated 26/5/04. 44 Post have been sanctioned and proposal for total 78 Post has been submitted vide this Office Letter Dated 17 September 2004. The proposal of total 91 posts have been submitted to government which is under consideration of government.
Categorization of Equipment for Maintenance
It was decided by MHSDP and World Bank in the period 1999 to 2005.
Health equipment maintainance workshop Head Quarter at Pune.
Circle Level Units
One at each circle (total 8 units in the state)
One technician attached to district healh office at each district to maintain cold chain equipment except new district attached to district healh office.
Objectives of Health Equipments Repair Units
- To maintain and repair various hospital equipment and cold chain equipment.
- To impart training to the technical staff and end users.
- To undertake maintenance and repairs of advanced electronic hospital equipment provided to the hospitals.
The HER Units have carried out maintenance and Repair of Health Equipment and Cold Chain Equipment during 1993 to 2006(upto May) as shown below.
|Sr.No.||Year||Cold chain equip repaired.||Cold chain equip inspected.||Hospital equipment repaired||Hospital equipment inspected|
Present availability of Cold Chain Equipment
Total Cold Chain Equipment: 6363
Out of order Cold Chain Equipment: 64
Percentage of out of order Equipment: 1.0%
- To introduce computerisation.
- To issue standing orders in order to enable the Technician to proceed for the repairs on the basis of reports received.
- To introduce effective management information system.
- To impart training to the existing Technicians in the field of advanced electronics at least to the inspection and carrying out preventative maintenance and minor repairs.
- To maintain adequate stock of spare parts at each level.
- To upgrade knowledge of all technician and staff various training programmes are being conducted at various institutes.