24 November 2010
By Mirror Bureau
In the concluding part of our series, Rujuta Diwekar explains the route to a cleaner system
Probably the most important step in getting the clean–up campaign right. One thing which works like a dream is ‘restful sleep’. During sleep, our body works at detoxifying our system and sweeps it clean of all the damage done during the day. Most importantly, it works at restoring our hormonal balance and spikes up the immune system to cope with the next day’s work. Good sleep is linked to good appetite control which means it ensures that you don’t binge the next day and works backwards at reducing our guilt associated with binge eating.
Staying in touch with your body's hunger signals and feeding it according to its needs is the crucial aspect of preventing the unhealthy ‘fasting and feasting’ eating pattern, now well established as the classic pattern of creeping obesity (10 kilos in five years syndrome).
It’s an effective way of nourishing and cleaning our system. Hence, people who workout regularly have a clearer stomach, ruling out the panic mode which often compels people to opt for enemas. We must be able to naturally and efficiently let go off the waste products.
A forced expulsion via pills/ powders/ steam/ sauna may not only make us run to the loo multiple times a day but also wash off the important Vitamin B and intestinal flora and fauna. Lost flora and fauna leads to more toxicity because of impaired digestion – the exact opposite of what you expected.
A regular workout stimulates what is called the ‘larger than life kidney’ or the ‘third kidney’ of the body – the skin. The process of sweating as a result of exercise is the best detox for your body.
State of Mind
Detoxification begins when the mind accepts the body exactly the way it is and nourishes it out of a sense of responsibility and joy instead of depriving it out a sense of shame and punishment.
- Fix a regular bedtime.Aim to sleep and rise at the same time on most days.
- Get the TV out of the bedroom or at least switch it off an hour before bedtime.
- The snooze option on your alarm is not good. Either wake up or take a break and sleep.
- Eat as soon as you wake up. It works best to plan your breakfast the night before itself.
- Eat at least three home–cooked meals. The ingredients will be fresher and your meals will be of a better quality.
- Buy vegetable or fruits at least twice a week rather than stocking up once every 10 days.
- A 20–minute, twice a week workout regimen followed over an entire year is more beneficial than working out for an hour for 15 days in a year.
- Your workout must be an expression of love towards the body, not a punishment for being fat.
- Pursue your hobby, no matter how little time you have. It refreshes the mind. » Don’t procrastinate. Every single step in the right direction helps. Detoxify now.