19 June 2012
The Mumbai District AIDS Control Society (MDACS) started its month-long blood donation drive on Sunday. With a view to gathering the maximum people to donate blood, MDACS has set up blood donation camps in 14 railway stations across the city, including Churchgate, Dadar, Borivali, Andheri etc.
“With so many people travelling by local trains, we decided that railway stations would be the best place to get most people involved in the drive. Camps have been set up at strategic places. Street plays will also be performed at markets, railway stations and housing societies in order to attract crowds and spread awareness about blood donation,” said Dr Kishore Kshirsagar, project director, MDACS.
As per National AIDS Control Organisation’s estimate, MDACS requires 1,25,000 units of blood for 2012-’13.
Over the past five years, MDACS has seen a sharp increase in blood donation. In 2007, 70 per cent of the target was met with blood donation, which rose to 81 per cent in 2011. The remaining 19 per cent was met through replacement blood.
To bridge this gap, this year’s drive will largely focus on the donor. “We will organise an event to thank those who donate blood, especially those who donate on a regular basis,” Kshirsagar said.