06 July 2013
New Delhi, India.
In a move that will boost the country’s medical sector, 38 government medical colleges are likely to get super speciality status and offer courses such as cardiology, endocrinology and gastroenterology.
The ambitious project, which falls under phase one of the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna, will cost the government Rs 6,500 crore.
The Empowered Finance Committee will hold a meeting on July 11, when it is expected to approve the project that has been waiting for a green signal for the past five years. Once the committee gives its go-ahead, the project will go to the cabinet for a final approval.
Ministry sources who will be part of the meeting said there is complete consensus on the issue, and the project will most likely get the thumbs up.
According to official estimates, it will cost Rs 150 crore to upgrade each institution and Rs 800 crore has been allocated as maintenance charges. The Centre will contribute 75% of the total cost, while respective state governments will shell out the remaining 25%. The chosen colleges belong to 17 states, including Maharastra, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Bihar and Karnataka. Prominent ones on the list include Government Medical College, Aurangabad, Government Medical College, Latur, Shri Vasantrao Naik Government Medical College, Yavatmal, Government Medical College, Rajkot, Government Medical College, Darbhanga, SP Medical College, Bikaner, RNT Medical College, Udaipur, Government Medical College, Kota and Karnataka Institute of Medical Science.