09 February 2013
Major hospitals in the city have launched a toll free number, 1800-233-0102, for providing speedy medical care to patients suffering a heart attack by helping him/her reach the nearest hospital to get emergency treatment. The number was formally opened for the public by state cooperative minister Harshvardhan Patil on Friday.
"Heart disease is the common cause for death. It is estimated that, by 2015 the country will have 62 million people with coronary artery diseases. The shorter the time taken from the moment of heart attack to the time the blocked artery is opened, the better would be the chances of survival," cardiologist Shirish (M S) Hiremath, director of the Cath-Lab at Ruby Hall Clinic said at a news conference on Friday.
The toll free number will help the patient avail of the ambulance service to shift immediately to the nearest hospital for emergency treatment, he added.
"We have named this facility as Heart Pune. It is a new concept initiated for saving lives. Across the world, heart attack related deaths occur in the initial hours, and hence the treatment has to be initiated very quickly. Heart Pune will help in administering this treatment," Hiremath said. Anyone who is a witness to a cardiac emergency can increase the person’s chances of survival by dialling the number, he added. "This helpline is specially for heart cases and limited to heart diseases," Hiremath added.How Heart Pune will function
- Patient suffering from symptoms of heart attack like chest pain, discomfort, breathlessness can call the toll free number
- Telecaller attends the call and probes and provides direction for the dos and don’ts
- Telecaller liaisons with the team of ‘Heart Pune’
- Arrangement of ambulance to pick up the patient free of cost
- Nearest hospital is intimated about the details of the patient
- Patient is transferred to the hospital wherein cardiac facilities are available
- Patient is attended by the cardiologist
- Proper guidance for treatment is given to the patient