- Air conditioning of the inspired air.
- Filtration of the inspired air.
- Olfaction or sense of smell.
- Resonating the spoken voice.
- Draining the para nasal sinuses and the nasolacrimal duct.
The nose is generally divided into
- External nose: Gives a cosmetic appearance to the nose.
- Nasal cavity: Comprises of the two nostrils, nasal septum/turbinate etc.
- Post nares and nasopharynx: opening of the nostrils.
Nasal polyps/polypons is nothing but an effect of long standing allergy on the nasal lining. It can be treated with medicines in the initial stages but generally require, surgical removal followed by long term anti–allergic treatment to prevent recurrence.
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS)
FESS stands for Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. Like many parts of the body the sinuses can now be tackled by use of rigid nasal endoscopes which can be negotiated into minor crevices of the nasal cavity to remove the nasal pathology and restore the function of nose.
Epistaxes (Nose Bleed)
Epistaxes on nasal bleeding can occur due to various conditions, the most common being hypertension foreign bodies, infections and tumors. In order to stop bleeding at home one can pinch the nostrils tightly and do some ice fomentation locally before consulting a specialist.