Are you one of those who hates popping pills? Well, if that’s the case, listed below are some “Natural” ways you could use to relieve yourself of headache without having to dump any “Synthetic” drugs into your system.
- Acupuncture: This system of alternative therapy is known for its ability to release the blockages in your body, and enable your vital energies to flow better. Needles are inserted at the head, neck, hands and/or feet for about 20 to 30 minutes to achieve its purpose.
- Aromatherapy: Alternative therapy treatment could relieve you of your headache by rubbing a drop or two of diluted “Lavender essential oil” on your temples, the base of your skull, and your hairline for its soothing effect, this can drive your tension away.
- Feverfew: This contains a compound, parthenolide, which would help you control the dilating and contracting of blood vessels in your brain. Mind you, it is the dilation and contraction of blood vessels in your brain that result in migraines. It also works as a prophylactic or preventive, and could be taken over a long period of time. Feverfew is available in its raw form, as leaves or in the form of capsules.
- Massage Therapy: As the name suggests, this form of therapy uses massage as a means to drive away your pain by literally “Smoothening out your tension”. You could start with the base of your head under your ears and gradually work towards the middle of your skull. Then, gently rub your temples, jaws, neck, and shoulders as well, to complete the procedure.
- Osteopathy: This system has been founded on the premise that physical and emotional stress, injury, and poor posture are likely to show up in your muscular–skeletal structure. So, by manipulating these areas, all underlying pains and strains, including headaches could be relieved.
- Reflexology: This system relies on pressing or massaging your feet or hands to stimulate the precise “Reflex” points that correspond to the affected glands or organs of your body. By stimulating the right area, you could soothe your headaches.
- Shiatsu: This involves the simple procedure of applying “Finger pressure”. All you have to do is, press gently on the webbing between your thumb and index finger. Hold it for about 15 seconds or so and release. Repeat it several times on your other hand as well even as you breathe slowly.
Remember, ideally, you ought to consult your doctor first and get a diagnosis of what ails you, before going in for alternative therapies. Sometimes, common ailments could actually be a symptomatic manifestation of a serious condition which you’d have to detect and treat. Moreover, even as far as alternative therapies are concerned, for some of them it is better to see a qualified professional for proper advice and therapy instead of trying it out yourself.