What is Shiatsu?
- Shiatsu is a healing art form from the Eastern–Oriental world and recently developed on scientific lines in the West.
- Uses touch and pressure to balance body meridians and ensure smooth flow of “Ki”… a vital life force.
- Can be dynamic or static and removes body energy blockages.
- Promotes deep relaxation, well being and body balance, treating body, mind and spirit together.
- Uses acupuncture points some of which are similar to motor points of modern science. Many points are similar to marma points of Ayurveda.
- Relaxes muscles and increases blood circulation in affected areas. This sends nerve impulses to the viscera’s or body organs to work efficiently.
- Enables contact with our own abilities for self–healing.
How Shiatsu works?Very simply put – Shiatsu works simply and gently by using the body’s own ever present energy.
- On the principle of “Ki” – life’s vital force flowing in the body. It is believed that “Ki” is everything and everything is “Ki”.
- The principle of Yin & Yang – Balancing of movement of Ki using different characteristics of a person. Yin – is the earth energy, Yang – this is heaven energy. These came together and created the world…this is the belief of ancient oriental people.
- The Meridians – These are defined pathways where “Ki” flows in the body.
- “Ki’s cyclical flow”. The flow of energy between the elements in very defined sequences or cycles.
- Five Element theory – The grouping of different phenomena with similar energy quality… It is believed that the body has 5 elements in particular proportion.
The Acupressure Center
Effects of Shiatsu Treatment
- Toxins accumulate in the body owing to inappropriate diet, lack of exercise etc. With Shiatsu treatment, toxins are slowly and steadily removed.
- Regulates activity of both the divisions of the autonomic nervous systems. In today’s world most of us are in over drive condition, which means the symphatetic division is over stimulated. Shiatsu activates the parasymphatetic division thus normalising the body.
- After the whole body treatment, the patient is generally relaxed with a sense of well being and peace.
- During whole body treatment, most people fall asleep or are in the alpha zone, which helps the body to rejuvenate.
- Emotional release takes place over a number of whole body treatments. At such times contact and trust between the practitioner and patient is important.
- When Shiatsu is done as part body treatment then, it relieves the body symptoms for which the particular treatment is given. e.g. for headache, acidity, spondylosis etc. In India usually part body treatment is practised.
- It stimulates circulatory, lymphatic and hormonal systems.
- Healing really takes place due to the patients ability to self heal.
- After the first few sessions of treatment, symptoms such as headaches, stomach problems, stiffness, frequent urination or lethargy may be noticed. These symptoms are transitory and pass off within 12 hours at the most.
- Post treatment, drinking of water and resting for some time is very helpful.
Why shiatsu for today’s world?
- The modern work environment has potential problems like.
- Static posture (static loading of muscles of the back to hold the head in place).
- Repetition of certain movements (over use of particular parts of the body).
- Stress – physical and emotional.
- Repetitive strain injuries.
- Constricted blood vessels.
- Immobile joints.
- Compressed nerves.
- Contracted muscles.
- Chemical changes in the body (increased levels of adrenaline and cortisone which lead to self – perpetuation of stress cycles, and conditions such as high BP and reduced immune function).
- Sympathetic nervous system in over – drive and not returning to normal levels.
How does shiatsu help in todays world?
- It relaxes the muscles and helps in restoring free blood circulation and free nerve impulses.
- It activates the parasympathetic nervous system of the body to achieve body balance. This gives the body time to heal and restore Ki – the vital life force.
- It reduces continued stress and thus boosts the immune system.
- Reduces elevated levels adrenaline and cortisol thus avoiding depression in cases of chronic stress and illness.
- Namikoshi Shiatsu deals with a lot of chemical/hormonal balancing of the body.
Shiatsu for self developmentShiatsu can become a focus point by which ones relationship with self, others and with life can be enhanced.
- It forms basis for self–understanding and discovery.
- Helping and healing of others in itself is a by–product of the process of self–development.
- Self development has Do–in (self shiatsu) e.g. Makka Ho Stretches [ a series of stretches that exercise the meridians ] to get in touch with one's Ki and major energy centers e.g. Hara Chakra where energy is stored.
- Where mind and body comes together and by centering oneself one becomes balanced and powerful.
- By deep breathing and by applying Ki to the patient the practitioners Ki is mobilized thus stimulating patient's Ki to flow where it is most needed.
Development of modern shiatsu
- Areas and points of acupuncture effective to certain conditions evolved over centuries of experience, observation, trail and error.
- Many other Japanese practitioners further advanced development of modern shiatsu by incorporating anatomy and physiology.
- Namikoshi techniques are very physical and symptomatic, working largely on neuromuscular points and around areas of pain. It depends on the detailed knowledge of muscular, skeletal, nervous and endocrine systems in short a very western approach combined with the traditional overall view on good health and advice on diet, exercise and laughter.
- Although acupressure is largely an Oriental science, much research and development is currently taking place in the western countries.
Few conditions where acupressure treatment is very effectiveIt has been established that the following conditions can be widely helped by Shiatsu/Acupressure.
- Herniated or Slip disc.
- Repetitive strain injuries e.g. carpel tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow, golf elbow.
- Digestive disorders.
- Menstural disorders/menopause.
The Acupressure Centre
2, Mahindra Society, 121 – Nagar Road, Pune 411 006, Maharashtra, India.
Telephone: +91 20 6683672
Cell Phone: +91 9822495780
Fax: +91 20 6123010