All India Entrance Examination
For admission to PG medical courses on All–India basis for admission to 25% of seats against open merit in Government Medical Colleges.
- Duration: MD/MS – 3 years
Diplomas – 2 years
- Eligibility: After completion of compulsory notating internship.
National Board of Examinations
An autonomous body of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare which conducts specialty examinations in various disciplines of medical sciences for the award of ‘Diplomat of National Board’. The examination is held in 2 parts – primary and final in February.
Common for all board specialties and for direct 5 year course in Neurosurgery, Pediatric Surgery and Plastic Surgery. Candidates possessing a post graduate qualifications in any specialty (Degree/Diploma) from a MCI recognised universities are exempted from the primary examination.
Consult the bulletins of information for eligibility in the subjects of board and super specialties.
A few colleges take in students on the basis of merit obtained in the final year MBBS examination. Some colleges have their own entrance examinations.
Masters in Hospital Administration/Management
Many renowned colleges in India offer a 2/3 years course in MHA/MHM.
To name a few:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences – New Delhi.
- Apollo Institute of Hospital Administration – Osmania.
- Hinduja Institute of Healthcare Management – Hyderabad.
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences – Mumbai.
- India Institute of Health Management and Research – Jaipur.
- Combined Medical Services Examination – UPSC, New Delhi conducts these exams for recruitment to the following services and posts.
- Assistant Divisional Medical officer in the Railways.
- Junior Scale Posts in Indian Ordinance Factories.
- Junior Scale Posts in Central Health Services.
- Medical Officer in Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
The Director General Armed Forces,
Medical Services, DGIA,
Ministry of Defense,
L Block, New Delhi – 1.
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) – To get a residency program (Post Graduate seats) in the US for a Foreign Medical Graduates (FMG) has to be ECFMG certified. For this clear step 1 and step 2 of the simple 3 part USMLE (United States Medical licensing Examination), The CSA (Clinical Skills Assessment Exam) and the TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language). Since 1999, Step 1 and Step 2 have been converted to computer based tests (CBT) and can be taken at Sylvian Technologies Centers.
- Step 1 is based on basic sciences and Step 2 is based on clinical sciences. The third part of USMLE, Step 3, is required for medical licensure to practice in the USA. After clearing the Step 1 and Step 2 of USMLE, CSA and TOEFL, one becomes eligible for Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification. This allows one to take part in the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) which takes care of residency allotment. Though getting the residency program in the USA is difficult, it isn't impossible. Scores in Step 1 and 2 make a lot of difference. Most FMGs go to the US on a J–1 visa which is valid till the completion of the program or a maximum of seven years. For twice information bulletin on USMLE and ECFMG certification.
PO Box 820992,
Philadelphia PA 19182–0992, USA.
or go to your local USEFI center like
United States Education Foundation in India,
3rd Floor, American Center,
4, New Marine Lines,
Churchgate, Mumbai 20, Maharashtra
or check out these sites: www.ecfmg.org and www.usmle.org
UK – To get a postgraduate post in the UK, you must be registered with the General Medical Council (GMC). For this you have to pass the PLAB test, prior to which you have to take the International English Language Testing System (TELTS) exam and obtain minimum overall score of 7.0 and minimum scores of 6.0 in each sections. PLAB is taken in 2 parts.
Part 1 consists of 3 written papers, (i) MCQ exam to test your knowledge base, (ii) Clinical problem solving exam to test theoretical diagnosis and management skills and (iii) Photographic material exam. to test your ability to recognise/describe common medical conditions.
Part 2 consists of a 12 station objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) to test your Clinical and Communication skills.
Part 1 can be taken at centres in UK and overseas like India at New Delhi, Calcutta, Chennai and Mumbai. Part 2 can only be taken in the UK.
The first step in planning a career in UK is to get an information enquiry sheet from the GMC or British Council Office nearest to you.
For further information hit www.gmc-uk.org
GRE: The graduate records examinations (GRE) test are taken by individuals applying to graduate schools. This program offers a general test and a subject specific test. While the general tests are computer based subject test are Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai, New Delhi, Trivendrum. These exams are required for M.Sc programs in the USA in Biological Sciences like Anatomy, Bactemolgy, Cell and Molecular Biology, Pharmacology, etc. The GRE form can be downloaded from the GRE website at: www.gre.org