- Hits: 4602
Head lice are very small parasitic insects that live on the human scalp and in the hair. They are more commonly found on young children than adults. They are generally brownish in color but may appear to be reddish brown after a blood meal. Yes, these creatures suck blood from the scalp, one of the richest areas of blood supply in the human body! An adult female louse lays 3-5 nits (egg casings) per day which are attached so strongly to hair shafts that only fingernails or a specially designed comb will remove them (normal brushing or washing won’t get it!). The nits are laid on hair shafts very close to the scalp (for moisture and warmth). After a week or so they hatch and mature after an additional week or two. These are then capable of laying ‘Nits’ and the process begins again.
Head lice can be extremely irritating as they cause:
- The possibility of secondary infections.
- Redness or small bite marks (like mosquito bites) on the scalp.
- Very rarely, a secondary infection might result in swollen glands in the neck or under the arms.
If someone in your family has lice, do the following:
- Check each family members hair.
- Use anti–lice medication (also called “Pedicullicide”).
- Physically remove as many nits (and lice) as possible.
- Identify the source of the lice e.g. coats, beds etc.
Here's to a clean, healthy scalp and glorious hair!!
Please Login to Comment
Expert's Advice on Poisoning
Poisoning: Call the nearest emergency health service in your area. Give them all the details, including the name of the poison or drug, if known, and the quantity you believe has been swallowed. read more…
You could reduce stress, increase your endurance, and relieve stiffness by incorporating some of these safe tips and exercises into your daily work routine. read more…