Historical Background/Periodical Development
Public Health Department, Government of Maharashtra is implementing various national health programs in the State.
As there is dire need to inform and educate people regarding these programs, as well as various health problems, State Health Education Bureau was established in 1970. The Bureau was headed by Assistant Director and supported by ministerial staff, media persons, artist, photographers, propagandist and other field staff.
To face the new challenges and to meet the field needs of health education, state government decided to upgrade the bureau.
In 1996 separate health IEC Bureau established with the amalgamation of health education bureau and the publicity wing of family welfare.
Programmes and Projects
- Family Welfare, Reproductive and Child Health
- Health System Development Project.
- AIDS Control, R.T.I. and S.T.I. control
- Tuberculosis control
- Leprosy elimination
- Malaria and Filaria Control
- Blindness Control
- Cancer Control and Antismoking Campaign
- Control of Diarrhea Disease
- M.T.P. and Sex determination etc.
- Acute Respiratory infections
- Health Intelligence and Vital Statistics
- Nutrition Education
- Rural Health Services
- Blood Bank and Civil Defense
- Oral Health
- Pulse Polio Immunization
National Rural Health Mission
Objectives of Information Education Communication Programme
- To prepare IEC Strategy for all National Health Programmes
- To prepare the IEC/BCC Action Plan as per local needs
- To produce IEC/BCC material for mass media as well as inter personal communication.
- To co–ordinate media like AIR, Doordarshan, State and Central Government Publicity Department.
- To co–ordinate activities with various department.
- To co–ordinate and guide NGOs in Health IEC activities
- To prepare guidelines to field units and to provide necessary funds for implementation of IEC/BCC activities.
- To monitor the IEC programmes.
- Formation of policy centrally at State level to educate the community by producing IEC material for mass media, resulting into BCC.
- Issuing guidelines to field officers about the preparation of supply and proper use of IEC material for BCC Guidelines regarding training strategy to the field officers for updating the knowledge about National Health Programme for the health personnel.