Son’s Death Due to Polio Drops: Parents
- Hits: 1966
11, March 2010
The death of a four–month–old baby boy after being administered the polio vaccine created ripples in Nandigama mandal in Krishna district on Thursday.
The infant breathed his last even before he could be taken to hospital in Nandigama. The child suffered bouts of high fever on Wednesday evening after an ANM at an anganwadi centre at Magallu village administered the polio drops.
Sources said the nurse Sridevi reportedly administered DPT injection immediately after giving the polio vaccine. With no improvement in the boy’s condition, father Ravibabu, an agriculture labourer, rushed to a private practitioner on Thursday. But the infant died before he was shifted to hospital.
The grieving parents said the maladministration of the vaccine cost the life of their only son. They said the ANM did not respond to their pleas when they approached her on Wednesday evening. Meanwhile, district medical and health officer Prasada Rao has ordered an enquiry into the incident.