Special Benefits for Persons with Disabilities
- Hits: 28522
Concession on railways
Railways allow persons with disability to travel at concession fares up to 75% in the first and second classes. Escorts accompanying blind, orthopedically and mentally handicapped persons are also eligible to 75% concession in the basic fare.
Air travel concessions
Indian Airlines allow 50% concession fares to blind persons on single journeys.
Payment of postage, both inland and foreign, for transmission by post of ‘Blind Literature’ packets is exempted if sent by surface route.
Braille paper has been exempted from excise and customs duty provided the paper is supplied direct to a school for the blind or to a Braille press against an indent placed by the National Institute for the Visually Handicapped, Dehradun. All audio cassettes recorded with material from books, newspapers or magazines for the blind are exempt from custom duty. Several other items have also been exempted from customs duty if imported for the use of a persons with disability.
All Central government employees who are blind or orthopedically handicapped are granted conveyance at 5% of basic pay subject to a maximum of INR 100 per month.
Reimbursement of tuition fee of physically and mentally handicapped children of the Central government employees has been enhanced to INR 50/–.
Income tax concession
The amount of deduction from total income of a person with blindness, mental retardation or permanent physical disability has been increased to INR 40,000/–.
Award of dealership by oil companies
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has reserved 7.5% of all types of dealership agencies of the public sector companies, for the orthopedically handicapped and blind persons. However, persons with visual handicap are not eligible for LPG distribution. Similarly, the Ministry has also reserved 7.5% of such dealership/agencies for defense personnel, and those severely disabled either in war or while on duty in peacetime.
Candidates with Physical handicaps, appointed on a regional basis, be given as far as possible, appointments as close to their native place as possible.
Economic assistance by public sector banks
All orphanages, homes for women and persons with physical handicaps as well as institutions working for the welfare of the handicapped, are given loans and advances at very low rates of interest (4% under DRI) and a subsidy of 50% up to a maximum of INR 5,000/– is also admissible. State Governments/Union Territories also give concessions/facilities such as reservation in jobs, scholarships, old age pension, free travel in buses, etc.
- Achievements of the Handicapped - Chhaya Mehta
- Aids for Hearing Impairments
- Aids for Physical Impairments
- Aids for Visually Impaired
- An Aarogya.com Initiative
- Bahushrut Foundation for Hearing Impaired
- Companionship Theory
- Conferences on Disability
- Disabilities Act
- Disability & Depression
- Disability Issue
- Disability Support Group Members
- DisabilityNet Announces Exciting Event
- Employment Avenues in Indian Industries for Disabled
- Famous People with Disability
- FAQs on Disability
- FAQs on Disability Issue
- Glossary of Disability Terms
- Government Assistance for the Handicapped
- Indian Definitions of Disability
- Indian Organizations for Persons with Disability
- International Day of Persons with Disability
- Journals of Disability
- Landmarks by Disable - Chhaya Mehta
- Latest News about Disability
- Learning Disabilities
- List of Doctors for Disabled
- Loneliness Due to Disability
- Major Disabilities
- Major Exhibitions by Disable - Chhaya Mehta
- Movies Featuring People with Disability
- Paralympics 2000
- Prayatna School for Special Children
- Rehab Plan for Handicapped Unveiled
- Rehabilitation Centres in Mumbai for Disabled
- Rights of People with Disabilities
- Single's Meet for Disabled
- Special Benefits for Persons with Disabilities
- The UN Definition of Disability
- Useful Links to Disability Sites