Page 4 of 5
Shiatsu for self development
Shiatsu can become a focus point by which ones relationship with self, others and with life can be enhanced.
- It forms basis for self–understanding and discovery.
- Helping and healing of others in itself is a by–product of the process of self–development.
- Self development has Do–in (self shiatsu) e.g. Makka Ho Stretches [ a series of stretches that exercise the meridians ] to get in touch with one's Ki and major energy centers e.g. Hara Chakra where energy is stored.
- Where mind and body comes together and by centering oneself one becomes balanced and powerful.
- By deep breathing and by applying Ki to the patient the practitioners Ki is mobilized thus stimulating patient's Ki to flow where it is most needed.
Development of modern shiatsu
- Areas and points of acupuncture effective to certain conditions evolved over centuries of experience, observation, trail and error.
- Many other Japanese practitioners further advanced development of modern shiatsu by incorporating anatomy and physiology.
- Namikoshi techniques are very physical and symptomatic, working largely on neuromuscular points and around areas of pain. It depends on the detailed knowledge of muscular, skeletal, nervous and endocrine systems in short a very western approach combined with the traditional overall view on good health and advice on diet, exercise and laughter.
- Although acupressure is largely an Oriental science, much research and development is currently taking place in the western countries.