For the last ten years the foundation has been working on different disorders of the heart, managing them on the principles of Ayurveda.
The three main sectors of cardiology are:
- Acute myocardial infection.
- Ischemic heart disease.
- More specifically chronic ischemic heart disease (Cardiomyopathies).
The ayurvedic treatment of IHD comprises of panchkarmas which mainly includes Virechna (Purgation) and Basti (medicated enemas). Internal medicines include drugs like ajmoda, vishatinduka and bold. Externally a local treatment is carried out which is a type of oleation (snehana). This is known as Hrid–Basti. It incorporates application of oils, decoctions, juices of herbs locally on mid sternal zone, forming a wall of wet gram paste. This treatment has shown good results in 1000 patients. The criteria of the assessment are, clinical signs and symptoms along with enzyme studies, ECG and stress test. Due to the involvement of heavy costs angiographies were not possible in all patients.
Several patients who were told that bypass surgery was necessary have been relieved with this treatment and are leading a good quality of life with minimal drugs. Post bypass surgery patients suffering from complications like thrombosis, questionable graft potency were also included in this study. They have also benefited by the treatment avoiding PTCA (Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty) or CBNG (Coronary Artery Bypass Graft).
The possible mode of Ayurveda regimen are
- The bocks might have dissolved.
- Formation of enough collateral.
- Improvement in the total function of heart by cardiotonics of Ayurveda. At our center we have tried Yogendra Rasa as principal drug for acute myocardial infarction. Repercussion was observed in all patients, within eight hours showing Electrocardiograph changes with using any thromolytic or mechanical means of recanalisation.
- Almost all patients of dilated (congested) cardiomyopathy pursue an inexorably down hill course with the majority dying within two years of the onset of symptoms. We felt that the use of cardiotonic activities of ayurvedic drugs will relieve the agony.
- We have found that patients on symptomatic as well as LVEF (Left Ventricular Ejection Fraction) also improved.