Common ColdIt is an exceedingly common respiratory infection. It is due to a virus which multiplies fast in a person whose vitality is low. The cold is, in fact, nature’s simplest mechanism of eliminating wastes accumulated in the system–popularly known as “Healing crisis”.
Recurrent Laryngitis, TonsillitisLaryngitis and Tonsillitis are inflammations of the larynx (wind pipe) and tonsils respectively. In both cases there is pain, sore throat, low degree fever, malaise that generally persist for a few days. Like cold and rhinitis, both conditions are self–limiting in nature.
- Hot foot and arm baths–3 days continuously at the beginning and later on weekly twice.
- Enema daily for 3 days and a mud pack to the abdomen daily.
- Throat packs for 45–60 minutes till the symptoms last.
- Hot and cold fomentation to the throat and steam inhalation thrice daily to provide symptomatic relief.
- Fasting with fruit juice or lemon juice or vegetable soups until symptoms subside.
- Warm saline water or honey water gargling provides soothing effect and also helps in clearing mucus from throat region.
- Taking plenty of warm honey water with ginger juice causes counter irritation providing relief and foment the region relieving pain.
SinusitisSinuses are paired, hollow spaces connected with the nasal passages arranged in the skull region. They are frontal, maxillary, ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses. Since they are connected to the nasal passages, any infection to the nose and throat region could spread to them. Thus, secretions accumulate in the sinuses resulting in heaviness in the head, blocked nostrils, nasal discharge, pain and tenderness at the area of involved sinus.
- Fasting on fruit juices or lemon juice till symptoms last forms an important part of the treatment.
- Enema successively for 3 days and later on as required. Mud pack on abdomen daily twice.
- Cold friction bath and immersion bath activates the skin, thus relieves the sinuses.
- Massage over the sinus region helps drain out accumulated mucus.
- Hot foot and arm bath diverts blood supply to the upper and lower limbs. This relieves pressure on the inflamed sinuses, providing relief from heaviness and pain.
- Steam inhalation by boiling water with eucalyptus leaves or camphor helps in draining out nasal secretions by opening up blocked nostrils.
- Jalaneti and Sutraneti also help in clearing nasal secretions, facilitating easier breathing.
- Steam/sauna baths also help in clearing the congestion of sinuses.
- Sometimes smelling of freshly chopped onions opens up the clogged nasal passages.
- Fomentation over the sinuses also gives immense relief.