- Never leave a baby with a young sibling.
- Avoid smoking while children are around.
- Always accompany your baby while he is in the tub. If you bathe your baby in a large tub put a small towel or cloth at the bottom to prevent slipping. Keep one hand under the baby’s neck during the bath.
- Keep the baby away from gas appliances.
- Do not expose your baby’s tender skin to direct sunlight especially around noon.
- Keep stuffed toys and pillows away from the baby’s crib.
- Never jiggle or shake your baby vigorously or throw him or her up into the air.
- Never keep your baby on any surface next to an unguarded window, even for a second, and even while the baby is asleep.
- Never leave your baby or a child alone in a car.
The first year with a new baby is most difficult time. As the baby grows, his curiosity impels him to explore things around him. So many harmless household items may also become dangerous for the child.