Roasted Onion Rice
- 2 cup rice.
- 6 onion, roasted.
- 1 tsp oil.
- 1” stick cinnamon.
- 3–4 cloves.
- 2–3 black cardamom.
- 4 1/2 cups water.
- Salt to taste.
Place whole onions in a hot oven. Brush with a little oil and roast on a low to medium temperature until they are golden and soft (around 30–40 minutes). Remove. Cool and discard only the outer skin (which should be charred). Chop the soft onion. Wash rice and place in a pan with the roasted onions, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, water and salt. Cook covered until the rice is done. Add more water if necessary. Serve hot.
Smoked Aubergine Pate (Lean Baingan Ka Bharta)
- 1/2 kg large aubergines.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger.
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic.
- 4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped.
- 3 green chillies, finely chopped.
- 2 tbsp whipped yogurt.
- salt to taste.
- 1 cup fresh coriander finely chopped.
Make a few slits in the aubergines and roast each over a medium gas flame until the skin has charred all over. Alternatively score and put them in a hot oven for about 25 minutes, or until the aubergines are soft. The first method is more laborious but the flavour is better. Cool. Discard the skin and mash the flesh with the back of a fork. Add all the other ingredients to the mashed aubergine. Mix well. Serve at room temperature along with hot tandoori roti and raita.
Fresh Fenugreek salad
- 1 cup fresh fenugreek levels, the smaller the better.
- 1/2 tsp sugar.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed.
- green chilli, slit lengthwise.
- 2 tbsp lime juice.
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, washed, pat dry with a cloth and chop.
- 1/4 cup green coriander, chopped.
- tsp peanut powder.
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds.
Add salt, garlic, chilli and lemon juice to the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Wash and dry all the greens. Add the dressing, peanut powder and roasted sesame seeds to the greens. Serve immediately.