Physical, psychological and social pressures influence adolescent’s eating habits. They may skip meals, prefer fast foods which are inadequate in essential nutrients especially calcium and vitamin A but high in calories, saturated fat and sodium. Sometimes self imposed diets to maintain their figure may result in complex and far reaching disorders like anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
Ways to provide good nutrition to Teenagers.
- Meals taken at home, breakfast & dinner to include most of the vitamins and minerals.
- Leafy and other vegetables can be incorporated in the form of snack preparations.
- Fruit juices, lassi, milk shakes may be taken in place of carbonated drinks.
- Girls should pay special attention to protein, vitamin C and iron intake.
- Monitor weight gain, gain in height and body build. Consult expert at the earliest if feeding problems are suspected.