During our pilot study we grouped the samples in three categories namely
- Samples from patients attending OPD for ailments other than cancers and healthy donors from the blood banks, which form the negative control group.
- Samples from patients with histopathologically proven (biopsy positive) cancers. These samples were collected pre–operatively. These constituted the positive control group.
- Samples from patients with benign lesions. These samples were tested to rule out any cross reactivity between malignant and benign lesions.
The detailed results are explained in Table I
The sensitivity and specificity values for the limited number of sample study are extremely encouraging.
The sensitivity and specificity value for Negative Control Group Sample studied is (94.8%). The sensitivity values for Oral Cancer samples (100%). Breast Cancer samples (91.3%), G. I. Tract Cancer (100%) and Uterine Cervical Cancer (100%). All the samples from patients with benign lesions were correctly diagnosed as negative with this test confirming that the test can specifically differentiate between malignant and benign lesions.
The data was presented at various national and international conferences listed below
- Poster presentation at International Cancer Congress held in New Delhi for October 30th – November 5th, 1994.
- Invited to read a paper title “Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) for detection of cell surface antibodies on cancerons cells” at XVIII National Congress at Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists held from November 12th–14th, 1994 at CME, Pune.
- Invited to give a lecture on “Detection of cancer of the cervix” at the VIth International multi–Faculty Medical Conference held from June 24th–37th 1998 at World Trade Centre, Mumbai.
- Invited to deliver state of the art Lecture on “A newly developed blood screening technique for the early detection of the carcinoma in the cervix” at the First International Conference on Biological Therapy and Modern Cancer Treatment (ICBT and MCT) held from November 16th–21st, 1998 at Guangzhou–China and Hong Kong.
- Invited to read a paper on “Early detection of carcinoma in the oral cavity” at the 6th Internation Conference on Oral Cancer held from February 15th–18th 1999 at New Delhi.
- Invited to deliver a lecture on cancer of the cervix at the “Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Towards Next Millennium” Symposiums held from February 23rd–24th, 1999 at King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre, Riyadh Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.