- Planning organizing coordinating and supervising State Health activities.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance in health IEC methods and media.
- In service training for all health staff of IEC methods, techniques and materials.
- Assisting in organizing and conduction of seminars, conferences and meetings related to I.E.C.
- Providing, purchasing, stocking, distribution and supplying health IEC aids, print and Audio Visual material.
- Developing cordial intra and inter departmental relationship and building relationship with agencies.
- Keeping the liaison with publicity units like A.I.R./ T.V., Newspapers etc. in the State.
- Producing regular monthly health bulletin Viz. Maharashtra Arogya Patrika.
- Evaluating the IEC activities and assessing the use of I.E.C. material by field visits in the periphery.
- Strengthening the District Health IEC Cells by providing guidance, material and support from time to time.
- Regular monitoring of the IEC activities through management information system.
Service Centers available in each District
At district level there are two service centers headed by District Health Officer, Zilla Parishad and Civil Surgeon District Hospital. At taluka level there are Sub–District level hospitals, Rural Hospital, Cottage Hospital and Taluka Health Officer in few districts. At sub taluka level Medical Officer i/c P.H.C. and at village level sub–centers are functioning.
Services to Common People
- The common people are informed about the various health programmes through A.V. material, News papers, T.V.Spots, Radio gingles, Pathnatya, Dramas, Prabhat–pheri etc.
- The health bulletin Maharashtra Arogya Patrika is regularly published by IEC Bureau. The magazine is available to common people. Annual subscription is Rs. 50/– only.
Special Features of Programme
In IEC Programme Film Show, Exhibitions are being arranged at various places, discussion on Radio and T.V. Stations, Workshops of media persons. To conduct communication skill development training.
All IEC/BCC activities are organized for behavioural change and it is a long term process.
Expected Community Participation
The community should accept the health services provided at various levels. By accepting the health services there should be change in peoples behaviour. Every programme should become a people’s programme not only of Govt. or health personnel. Political leaders, NGOs may involve in health programme to render the health services qualitatively and also quantitatively.
Role of NGOs
Activities like Health Melas, Exhibition, Film shows and communication skill development workshop are organised with the help of NGOs. The role of NGOs is important.
Role of Other Sectors
Mass Media activities are being organized with kind co–ordination with press, doordarshan, local channels, All India Radio, Publicity Department and other media agencies.