Community participation is very vital for effective control and prevention of outbreak of JE. The role which can be assigned to the community is as under
- Reporting of cases.
- Providing transport for shifting cases to the hospital.
- Active participation in preventive measures like indoor spray operation, anti larval operations, filling up of ditches to prevent water logging, isolation of pigs, intermittent draining of the rice fields etc.
- Personal protection measures which will include using mosquito nets, mosquito repellents, not sleeping in or near piggeries etc.
- Surveillance activities – report to the village sarpanch or health worker immediately regarding any suspected case of JE.
- Rehabilitation of children with sequelae of JE.
Japanese Encephalitis (JE) Situation
|Year||No. of Outbreaks||Total||Blood Serum Samples|
|Attack||Death||Sent to NIV||Positive for JE|
|2007–08 (upto Jan. 08)||1||10||0||3||2|