02 July 2010
BREAST–FEEDING WEEK FROM AUGUST 1 TO 7
According to experts, breast milk is the most vital food for preventing malnourishment among children and breast cancer among women. To drive home this point, World Breast Feeding Week is observed from August 1 to 7 every year.
Shedding light on the issue, pediatrician and lactation consultant Dr Asha Benakappa said: “Breast milk is the best health policy a mother can gift her baby. Within half and hour of delivery, the baby should be fed with breast milk. This should be followed with exclusive breast feeding for the first six months, with continued feeding for the next two years along with complimentary home–made food.”
For each baby, a mother has the capacity to feed 385 litres of breast milk. But due to lack of awareness, 2,342 litres of breast milk is wasted in India every day.
BONUS FOR BABY
- It’s the first immunization for the baby
- Perfectly suited to infant’s nutritional needs
- Less risk of battered baby syndrome and SIDS
- Less Infant obesity
- Helps fight infections affecting ear and chest
- Reduces bleeding after delivery
- Reduces chances of breast abscess
- Lowers risk of breast cancer
- Helps lose pregnancy weight