The common type of eyelid swelling one can get are:
- Stye (Hordeolum Externum).
- Hordeolum Internum.
- Molluscum/Viral Warts.
Stye or Hordeolum Externum is suppurative inflammation of Gland of Zeiss.
It is an infection of the eyelid most notably affects a gland of the eye called Gland of Zeiss. It is usually caused by a bacterium called Staphylococcus. It presents as a painful, red looking swelling on the eyelid.
It is seen in:
Poor Lid Hygiene
- Low resistance to staphylococci.
- Uncorrected Refractive error i.e. Requirement of Glasses.
- In some cases Diabetes Mellitus.
- Hot Compresses.
- Incision & drainage surgery after pus formation.
It is an inflammation of Meibonium glands of the eyelid which points on inner side of Lid It is treated by surgical incision & drainage + Antibiotics.
Chalazion is a swelling on the eyelid which is usually not painful. It affects a particular gland called the Meibonium glands.
- Steroid Injections into the affected area.
- Surgical incision & curettage.
- Swellings of the eyelids caused by pox virus on eyelids & transmitted by direct contact.
- Often multiple & can be associated with conjunctivitis and lymph node enlargement around the ear (periauricular lymphadenopathy).
Wart or Verruca is caused by human papilloma virus. Treatment–excision or cautary.
Distortion of eyelashes which rub against the cornea.
Causes of Trichiasis
It is seen in infections like Trachoma which is a very common infection of the eyes in India.
Also scars of eyelid due to burns, injury can cause this condition.