There are many risk factors for type 2 diabetes. They include:
- Obesity and overweight
- Lack of exercise
- Previously identified glucose intolerance
- Unhealthy diet
- Increased age
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
- A family history of diabetes
- A history of gestational diabetes
- Ethnicity - higher rates of diabetes have been reported in Asians, Hispanics, Indigenous peoples (USA, Canada, Australia) and African Americans.
If you think you are at risk of type 2 diabetes, get tested!