Control of Blindness activities started during 1972–73, as Trachoma Control Programme. From 1976–77 it was converted into National Programme for Control of Blindness. It is 100% centrally sponsored programme.
Cataract is the main reason for the blindness and 62% of the blinds in the State are due to cataract only. The goal set for the terminal year of the 10th Plan is to reduce the prevalence of blindness to 0.8% by 2007.
- To provide high quality of eye care to the affected population.
- To expand coverage of eye care services to the underserved areas.
- To reduce the backlog of blindness by identifying and providing services to the affected population.
- To develop institutional capacity for eye care services by providing support for equipment and material and training personnel.
Decentralized implementation of the scheme through District Blindness Control Society.
Reduction in the backlog of the blind person by active screening of population above 50 years, organizing screening eye camp and transporting operable cases to eye care facilities.
Involvement of voluntary organization in various eye care activities.
Participations of community and Panchayat Raj institutions in organizing services in rural areas.
Development of eye care services and improvement in quality of eye care by training of personnel, supply of high tech equipments, Strengthening follow up services and monitoring of services.
Screening of school going children for identification and treatment of Refractive Errors, with special attention in under served areas.
Public awareness about prevention and timely treatment of eye ailments.
Special focus on illiterate women in rural areas. For this purpose, there should be convergence with various ongoing schemes for development of women & children.
To make eye care comprehensive, besides cataract surgeries other Intra Ocular Surgical operations for treatment of Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy etc. may also be provided free of cost to the poor patients through governments as well as qualified non government organizations.
- Till 2020 cataract surgeries per lakh will be 600 & 100% surgeries will be Intra Ocular Lens (IOL) techniques.
- Childhood blindness.
- Training in low vision services.
- Prevent corneal blindness.
- Treatment on Glaucoma cases.
- Treatment on diabetic retinopathy.
- Cataract Surgeries.
- Services for Refractive Error.
- Services for Corneal Blindness.
- Diagnostic & treatment services about eye diseases.
- Eye Donation.