- No active searches except for high Prevalence Rate (PR) pockets, Modified Leprosy Elimination Campaign (MLEC), SAPEL/LEC.
- Full integration of anti-leprosy activities with GHS in rural as well as urban area.
- The Male MPW will include leprosy work in his activities with emphasis on case finding, defaulter identification, health education. The female MPW/ANM and the AWW will refer suspected cases. Treatment follow up will be carried out by the male MPW every month at village and sub centre level. He will also advise new patient and provide POD services.
- General hospitals, CHCs, PHCs, additional PHCs and dispensary centres will offer leprosy diagnosis and treatment facilities independently. One PME/NMS will be appointed in blocks with high endemic pockets for guidance and support.
- Promotion of voluntary reporting by creating enhanced awareness among masses.
- Availability of MDT services upto sub-centres.
- Accompanied MDT was needy persons.
- MDT management at all the health facilities.
Establishing and Strengthening of State Leprosy Society (SLS)
The State Leprosy Society has been established on 11th July 2001 under the chairmanship of the Principal Secretary Public Health Department, Maharashtra State, for monitoring and guidance to the District Leprosy Societies. For close monitoring and smooth channelization of MDT funds to the District Leprosy Societies, Budget and Finance Officer and Data Entry Operator, one each, have been appointed on contract basis.
Strengthening of Sample Survey Assessment Unit (SSAU)
The existing SSAU has been strengthened by appointing Epidemiologist & Data Entry Operator, one each, from the World Bank Assistance.
3 days modular technical training in leprosy was imparted to all general health care staff as a part of integration.
Modified Leprosy Elimination Campaign (MLEC)
With following objectives
- To carry out intensive awareness campaign about leprosy in the community.
- Detection of hidden leprosy patients and MDT coverage immediately through Voluntary Reporting Centres (VRC) and Active Searches. During MLEC V 4504 VRCS were organized in the state.
100% validation of all newly detected cases has been accomplished throughout the State except Thane (50% only).
Block Leprosy Awareness Campaign (BLAC)
Two such campaigns were taken up in Nov. 04 and Sept. 05 respectively to provide intensive IEC, leprosy diagnosis, treatment and counseling services in tribal blocks.