- To reduce morbidity due to malaria.
- To prevent deaths due to malaria.
- Industrial & Agricultural Development activities should not be affected due to malaria.
- The gains achieved so far should be maintained.
State has developed State Implementation Plan for Malaria in tune with guidelines given by Govt. Of India under “Malaria Action Plan 1995”. Major components of Implementation strategies are
- Early detection and prompt treatment (EDPT)
- Identification of High Risk Area.
- Strengthening of surveillance activities.
- Decentralization of Laboratory Services.
- Availability of anti malarial drugs upto the village level.
- Selective Vector Control
- Indoor residual spraying.
- Anti Larval Measures.
- Use of Biocides.
- Personal protection methods mainly Use of Impregnated Bednets.
- Biological Control Measures.
- Capacity Building: Training to field staff & Non Governmental Organisations (NGOs.)
- World Bank Assisted Enhanced Malaria Control Project to intensify malaria control activities in tribal belt of the state.
- Celebration of Anti Malaria Month June upto village level every year.
As per guidelines given by Govt. of India “Anti Malaria Month–June” is celebrated every year with various activities upto the village level. (Gram Sabha, Morning Procession, News Paper, Cable T. V., Radio, Handbills, etc.)
Activities carried out during Anti Malaria Month – June are as under
- Organization of State level press conference on 1st June.
- Organization of district level press conference.
- Special edition of Arogyya Patirika on Malaria.
- Broadcasting of speech on Aakashwani/Doordarshan by State level officers.
- Broadcasting of TV spots on Doordarshan.
- Broadcasting of radio jingles.
- Advertises in different local news papers.
- Organization of Malariology workshops for NGO’s.
- IEC (Information, Education & Communication)
For creation of awareness among the community about signs & symptoms of malaria, treatment & management of malaria & control measures.
Use of different types of media depending nupon the local situation for achieving better community participation. Mass media such as TV/Radio/Cable network, Cinema slides, Pamphlets, Posters, Charts etc.
- Urban Malaria Scheme in selected 15 towns.
- Implementation of Bye laws.
There is steady decline in malaria cases and deaths. But pockets such as Gadchiroli Districts is posing problem. During 2002–2003, 15.55 % of State malaria cases are from Gadchiroli Districts. Gadchiroli is Tribal/Forest District and having borders with Madhya Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh. Special strategic interventions proposed for this district during this year are
- Mass Survey in high malarious area.
- Special round of Synthetic Pyrethroid Residual spraying.
- Distribution of Medicated Mosquito Nets to all population in Bhamragadh Taluka.
- Periodic Vector Studies to observe change in vector bionomics.
- Special G6 PD studies to reduce mortality.
- Condensed Radical Treatment in the form of tablet Chloroquine 1500 mg. in 3 divided doses and tablet Primaquine 45 mg. to all fewer cases.