Services to Common People
The following services are available at free of cost at different levels
Primary Health care services
Village level services: Distribution of contraceptives (Oral Pills & Condom).
Sub center level: IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
Primary Health center level: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
Rural Hospital: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
Sub District Hospitals: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
Other Hospitals: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
District Hospitals: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of contraceptives.
Super specialty Hospitals: Sterilization, IUD insertion & Distribution of Contraceptives, Re–canalization.
In Urban area services are provided through Urban Family Welfare centers, Authorized Private medical practitioners, and Health posts.
National Family Welfare Programme
Services Center Available in each District
Sterilization (Male & Female) operations & spacing method services are available at the following Institution in the District
- Rural Hospital.
- Municipal Hospitals.
- Cantonment Hospitals.
- Medical college Hospitals.
- State Hospitals.
- Women’s Hospitals.
- Recognized private Medical practitioner Hospitals (Authorized by District Health Authority).
- NGO. Hospitals.(Grant in Aid Institutions).
Special Features of the Program
For male involvement in program new technique is introduced i.e. No scalpel vasectomy Technique. It is available in every district
- Special Skill Training (Hands on training ) Special skill Development Training for MO, ANM/LHV
MO– Laparoscopy, Minilap, NSV
ANM/LHV– IUD training was given in RCH Ist phase.
- For Male sterilization acceptors, the incentive of Rs.501/– is given
- For BPL couples Savitribai Phule Kanya Kalyan Yojna has been launched by State Government for sterilization on one or two female issues.
Expected Community Participation
Family planning services are available for all the peoples in the Reproductive age Group. However participation of the people under the Low–income group in the Rural, Tribal area & peoples living in the slum area of the urban area is expected.
Role of NGOs
- To motivate the couples to accept contraception (specialty young couples).
- To help in services delivery.
- To educate and motivate community for increasing age at marriage especially for girls.
Important Health Education Messages
- 9 TV spots on RCH have been developed.
- Essay and debate competitions – these competitions are being held in project districts.
- Activities for HIV/AIDS are being carried out.
- “Hallo Sakhi” and “Hallo Doctor” programmes have been launched by the Dept. and are being carried out successfully. Participation by eminent personalities in the medical field. The above TV spots are shown during breaks.
Role of other sectors
Co–operation of other Department is taken for motivating couples for acceptance of family welfare methods.
Rural Development Department/Integrated child Development Scheme/Education Department/Revenue Department/Urban Development Department.
State couple protection Rate was increased from 54.1(1992–93) to 60.9 (1998–99)
(Source: NFHS – 1 & NFHS – 2)
|Sr.No.||Indicator||Status1995 (SRS)||Present Status (SRS)|
|3||Total fertility Rate||2.9||2.3(2003)|
|4||Infant Mortality Rate||55||36(2004)|
|5||Neonatal Mortality Rate||–||26(2003)|
NFHS – National Family Health Survey
SRS – Sample Registration Scheme
Achievements of National Family Welfare Programme
Last five years performance of the state in Family Welfare
|2008–09 (May 08)||600000||1570||46250||47820||8||450000||45547||10|
|Performance of Sterilisation|
To promote the couples to accept sterilization only on female child, state has declared Revised Savitribai Phule Kanya Kalyan Yojana form 1st April 2007.
The scheme is applicable for
- Couples below poverty line.
- Couples accepting sterilization with only one daughter & no son.
The person undergoing sterilization will receive Rs.2000/– in cash & Rs 8000/– in form of NSC ( in the name of daughter) .Total benefit of Rs.10000/– will be given to family.
- Similar scheme is applicable for couples with two daughters & no son . The person undergoing sterilization will receive Rs.2000/– in cash & Rs 4000 /– in form of NSC ( in the name of each daughter). Total benefit of Rs.10000/– will be given to family.
In Family Welfare Programme, stress has been given on improving demographic quality of performance also. The sterilization performance on 2 living children for last four years is as given below.
|Year||Total Sterilization Performance||Sterilization on 2 issues||%|
|PSterilization and Sterilization on two Issues|