Diet & Nutrition
Nutrition Tips for When You Lose Your Appetite
- Hits: 18965
Try frequent small meals and snacks, especially if you feel full after eating only a small amount. Often it is helpful to eat according to a schedule rather than to rely on appetite.
- Take advantage of the times when you feel the best. Eat a hearty meal when you are hungry. Many people have their best appetite in the morning, when they are rested.
- Limit fluids during meals. Liquids can create a feeling of fullness. It may help to drink liquids 30 to 60 minutes before or after meals.
- Create a pleasant mealtime atmosphere.
- Vary the color and texture of foods to make the meal more appealing.
- For adults, wine or beer before meals (if allowed by your physician) may stimulate the appetite.
- Keep snacks readily available. Cheese, ice cream, canned fruit, nuts, and milk are examples of high–protein and high–calorie snacks requiring little or no preparation.
- Bedtime may be a good time to snack because your appetite for the next meal will not be affected.