ConstipationConstipation is an altered function of the bowels where the bowels are emptied at a longer interval than normally required with or without any difficulty.
It is a common affliction of modern civilization due to unhealthy lifestyle. The incidence of constipation in the general population is variable. A large number of people pass one or two motions per day and it is considered to be normal. But more than 3 bowel movement a day may be termed abnormal. Majority of the people are quite obsessed with the number and frequency of the bowel action. They often exhibit a sense of concern when either the amount of stool passed is too little or there is a feeling of inadequate evacuation.
Constipation may be due to a number of factors such as inadequate intake of fluids, absence of roughage in the diet, lack of regular exercise, faulty food intake, not attending to nature’s call in time, type etc.
- Mud packs to abdomen or cold compress.
- Cold hip bath daily.
- Alternate hip bath, 2–3 times in a week.
- Abdominal pack every night.
- Gastro–hepatic pack two or three times a week.
- Regular enema treatment initially and then tapering of it as diet and exercise show their effects.
- Fasting initially for 2–3 days, followed by a fruit and raw vegetable diet for a few days. A high fibre diet to be introduced gradually.
- Intake of fluid in plenty.
- Regular physical exercises.
- Regular toilet training early in the morning.
- Adjustment to emotional disturbances
DiverticulitisThe intestine possesses several pouches or sac–like structures along its course called Diverticula. When undigested waste matter stagnates in one or several such diverticula, the mucosal lining of the colon suffers inflammation and presents symptoms of acute and Chronic Diverticulitis.
The usual symptoms of Diverticulitis are cramping pain in the left lower abdomen and constipation alternating with diarrhea. There may be irritation of the peritoneum, fever, chills peritonitis and abscess may be the complications.
- To relieve constipation (treatment for constipation is mentioned in the previous pages).
- To relieve constipation (treatment for constipation to mentioned in the previous pages).