The Large IntestineThe large intestine (colon) is responsible for absorbing water from the end products of digestion and eliminating the wastes. A diet with adequate quantity of water is essential to perform this important function by the large intestine. A diet which is low in fibre content does immense harm. At times, instead of drying up the waste food known as “Faeces”, the colon induces frequent passage of stool with large amounts of water resulting in diarrhea. Chronic constipation is actually said to be the root cause of diarrhea. The large intestine being blocked with accumulated “Faeces” triggers the body’s healing mechanism to induce an acute disorder so that the system is cleansed. However, if properly attended to, the symptoms could be taken care of in a day or two, without any complications.
UlcersUlcers are caused by the erosion of inner mucosal lining of the stomach due to excessive secretion of acid. As popularly known to mankind – hurry, worry and curry combination heralds the onset of this affliction.
Apart from hyperacidity many other physical causes such as wrong eating habits, irregular meal spacing, spicy food, stimulants such as tea, coffee, smoking, alcohol, tobacco chewing, stress–physical, emotional and/or psychological result in ulcers. If the erosion of mucus membrane takes place around the stomach it is termed as gastric ulcer and if in duodenum, it is duodenal ulcer.
Ulcers result in burning sensation and gnawing type of pain on empty stomach. It is relieved immediately after ingestion of food or two hours after the intake of food. This typical pain–food–relief is the symptom of Ulcers.
- To begin with, cold milk at regular intervals.
- Later on, fixed meal at regular intervals which is free from spices, stimulants, citrus fruits, and their juices, non–vegetarian food, raw salads, unripe fruits etc.
- Cold water enema taken for a few days helps to get rid of all accumulated waste.
- Cold abdominal pack every day.
- Gastro–hepatic pack provides relief from pain.
- Mud packs to abdomen reduce fermentation and eliminate gas.
- Cold hip baths are also recommended daily.
- Ice applications to abdomen, kidney pack in case of burning sensation.
- Physical and mental rest.